The shell and core project at 57/58 Grafton Street and 53/54 King Street involved the complete refurbishment and joining together of two buildings on Grafton Street at ground and first floors to form a large retail unit fronting onto Grafton Street.
Number 58 Grafton Street (& 53/54 King Street), a protected structure, was originally the Richard Allen fashion store whilst number 57 Grafton Street was originally the Zerep shoe shop.
Structural & Civil Engineering Works
The project involved the following structural/civil works:
The removal of the ground and first floors from 57 Grafton Street/replacement with new floors to suit levels within 58 Grafton St.
Forming a large (7.9m) opening within Nos. 57 & 58 Grafton St. at ground and first floors. This involved substantial temporary works, mini-piling at basement level, installation of a three storey portal frame and new floors to suit.
Refurbishment of the entire (protected) structure within 58 Grafton St. and Nos. 53/54 King St., including:
- Strengthening of timber floors throughout to provide retail loading
- Helibar strapping of floors to external walls and facades to return walls
- Replacement/strengthening of roof timbers
- Rebuilding of rear wall to No. 57 Grafton St. due to its poor structural condition
- Strengthening and corrosion/fire protection of existing steel work throughout
- Relining of existing drainage lines onto Grafton Street/provision of new water-main connection to No. 57 Grafton Street, in advance of repaving works on Grafton St.
There were a considerable number of interfaces with adjoining buildings, with condition surveys being carried out pre and post construction in order to protect the client’s interests. There was also a substantial interface with professionals acting on behalf of adjoining neighbors.
Following the completion of the shell and core works, Torque Consulting Engineers were appointed by the Tenant (LifeStyle Sports) to carry out the structural design of feature stairs and other structural amendments to the shell and core works.